Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The snow is starting to melt and it's time to test out new gadgets on the bike. In effort to shave some time off the bike portion of the triathlons, I started by purchasing a Trek 1.1 road bike last fall. I got in a few rides before the weather went south, but March 6 was my first ride of 2010. Road about 13 miles, dodging water-filled potholes and mud puddles, but overall a good ride through the park. The next day I installed some Profile Design Jammer aero bars (step 2 in my time-shaving strategy). Did a few laps around the block and wondered why I never bought these sooner! Instant neck relief and less wind resistance. And last but not least was the trial of the Sip-Away hydration bottle. This is an invention I wish I would have come up with myself. It's a Camelback-meets-water bottle contraption that allows you to sip water via tube/bite valve that's attached to the bottle that rests in the bike cage without you having to take your hands off the bars or break your cadence. I will now be well hydrated for the run before even getting off my bike. Highly recommended!


This year's race line-up:
April 25th: J-Hawk's EarlyBird Tri in Whitewater, WI (sprint distance).
July 11th: Pewaukee Lake Tri in Pewaukee, WI (sprint distance).
July 25th: Tri-ing for Children's in Southern Kettle Moraine, WI (olympic distance).

Official training plan begins April 4. Swim like the fish, bike like the French, run like the wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment