Saturday, April 7, 2012

13.1 miles Barefoot COMPLETE!

Today's race was the South Shore 1/2 Marathon located in Milwaukee, WI. My goal was not just to finish, but to run the entire 13.1 miles of bike-path pavement while barefoot. Not in those "barefoot" running shoes, not minimalist shoes, nothing. No shoes at all. And although I did carry my minimalist shoes with me for that "just in case" satisfaction, I managed to complete the whole course skin to asphalt, step after step. Speed was not my concern, however I made a secret deal with myself to try and finish under 2.5 hours. I crossed the finish line in 2:26:19 with a smile on my face, no blisters on my toes, and no glass stuck in my feet. Lake Minnetonka 1/2 Marathon here I come!

As a side note, there was 1 other person running without shoes, and 1 person running in sandals who was transitioning into barefoot but didn't want to risk it for his first 1/2 marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Official stats from the race: 912/1015 overall, 417/487 females, 96/108 age group F30-34 2:28:10 11:19/mile pace #4107 bib

    ReplyDelete